Pages



Sunday, November 27, 2011

Herringbone Wall DIY

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend.  I knew I was going to be painting instead of losing sleep doing the Black Friday thing, so I stayed in and painted a wall.  I had been contemplating a focal wall, in my living room, for sometime now.  Chevron, stripes, all-over stenciled walls...I needed to give my living room an interesting element.  Since I don't have the luxury of owning a home with awesome molding or interesting architectural elements, painting is the best I can do in a rental.  So I ventured to our favorite idea site, Pinterest and decided on a herringbone design.

I followed this tutorial from Design Sponge, modifying it to fit my wall.



First, I measured my wall, and divided it in half.  At the halfway mark I taped with Blue Painters Tape, from floor to ceiling.   Then, I divided each of the sides in half too.  Using the blue tape again, from floor to ceiling. Next, I marked with a ruler and pencil, every 9 inches, down the center .  I started at the ceiling and worked my way down.  Like I said, depending upon how big or small your wall is, and how large and deep you want the zig-zags, the measurements will be different for everyone.  Mine ended up measuring, 8x21inches.

(Sorry for the horrible photo)

It took 2 coats of paint, and during the process I decided to leave a few of them un-painted.  I thought it looked kinda cool and gave it more appeal.  Once semi-dry (not completely dry or you run the chance of the paint peeling off with the tape, so use your best judgement) then remove your tape and enjoy!



I love how it turned out and for now, the wall stays bare until I can decide what to put on it.

It makes the best statement when you walk in the room,
 and I can't stop looking at it!






Linking up to:











A Glimpse Inside


featured button

22 comments:

  1. SO GORGEOUS! Wow, I am totally amazed, what a gorgeous paintjob! I'd be thrilled to see you come and share at the Head to Head Showdown, going on right now at www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com

    ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking up! Jen @ www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is amazing! i love it!
    thanks for sharing :)
    {love} lauryn @ lovenotesbylauryn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow ... breathless. You did a great job! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. gorgeous! love that you left a few unpainted!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! What a gorgeous wall! I love your blog. I'm your newest follower. (actually I thought I was already following you but I couldn't find you in my blog list. But now I am definitely following you)
    Would love to see you DIY Home Sweet home.
    Jamie
    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

    P.S. I have a linky every Monday. Would love for you to stop by and link up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. just like everyone else...that wall is awesome! So you are definitley coming to utah and helping me decorate my new house....well that is when I get it lol! Love you sis! great job

    ReplyDelete
  8. AWESOME!!! Its so different from the traditional stripes. I love it! New follower here. Would love it if you would stop by and share this at my link party going on right now :) http://everything-underthemoon.blogspot.com/2011/11/bedazzle-me-monday-10.html

    Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks gorgeous!! I love the gray and white combo - great job!!

    I'd love for you to link this up to my link party, Your Whims Wednesday! http://www.mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/11/your-whims-wednesday-35-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is absolutely beautiful. i'm pretty sure i'll have to do this in my office. wow, i love it so much!!

    i would love for you to come link up this or any other amazing project at my creativity party going on right now!

    letbirdzfly.blogspot.com

    thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Drool!! I LOVE this wall! I'm re-doing my craft space over Christmas break and wanted to do a chevron wall - I may have to do this instead! I featured it today!

    http://craptastickatie.blogspot.com/2011/12/five-feature-friday-19.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, just beautiful! What I love the best is the fact that you left some of the spaces white.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just love it.... Perfect.

    We are moving to a new appartment in 2 months, and I am definatly going to try this in my master bedroom :)

    thanks for sharing dear.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is really beautiful. I love how you left some of them unpainted--I haven't seen that before. Great jobs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks awesome! You did a great job!!

    I would love for you to come link up at my blog this week starting today!
    snap, craft & blog till your heart's {content} @ a content housewife {blog}

    Have a great week!
    -Lianne

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea to choose a smaller wall for this project (since its a rental) :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks fantastic! Awesome job!
    Thanks for linking up to this week's Catch a Glimpse party! I'll be featuring this tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete