Pages



Friday, April 26, 2013

DIY Floor Pouf



A while back, I'd say a year or so, I came across a DIY for a floor pouf on Better Homes & Gardens.  I took some time searching for the right fabric and wanted something bright and timeless.  With the way things change around here, I wanted to be sure the fabric could withstand a few years of design trends.  After months of searching in the clearance bins I found this trellis fabric at a local fabric store. And $12 for only 2 yards of this fabulous fabric, I was in business.





I used this pattern from Better Homes & Gardens to make the pouf.  And made a few minor adjustments to it.  That's the beauty of a DIY, you can make it to your liking.  So first off, materials... 


What you need:  

2) Scissors, tape, pins, sewing machine, 1-spool of coordinating upholstery thread

3) Four standard bed pillows (I buy the cheapy ones from Target or Walmart) or Fiberfill if you must and two old bath towels

4) Two yards of fabric of your choice (either an outdoor fabric or an upholstery fabric works best)



This project took me about an hour to complete, from start to finish.  If you can sew a straight line...you're good as gold.  

Step 1:  Print and cut out This Pattern from BHG. 

Step 2:  Sew the pieces together, leaving a ten inch opening so you can stuff your pouf with filling.  

Step 3:  Now, using the old towels you have on hand, lay them inside on the bottom of your pouf.  This will give your pouf some stability. 

  




Step 4:  Now you'll take your pillows (or fiberfill) and cut them open.  I bought my little one's new pillows for Christmas and decided to keep their old ones for this project.  And if you're like me, you buy the pillows on sale for $2-4, for your little ones.  Or maybe I'm just that cheap.  So I was able to save myself a ton of money by just using the fill inside of them to stuff my pouf.  







Step 5:  Finish the pouf by hand sewing it shut and that's it...you're done!  

P.S.  Just a bit of an FYI, since this purty little thang is so bright and light I had to protect her from the little hands and feet that will be using her as a jump pad.  I use Scotch Guard spray on all of my pillows and chairs so I can wipe her clean if and when she gets a little dirty.  Seriously, Scotch Guard is a God-send!  Mother's: Use it generously.  












She's the perfect little addition to the living room, but I see her moving throughout the house as time goes on.  The kids have definitely taken a liking to her.


Have a good one guys!


Follow along...  



Linking to:
Liz Marie Blog: Inspire Me Please
Tatertots & Jello: Wrap Up Party
Show & Tell Saturday
Sunday Showcase Party: Stephanie Lynn
Someday Crafts: Whatever Goes Wednesday
Home Stories AtoZ
Show & Tell Saturday

28 comments:

  1. I was just thinking last night I wanted to make these for my kids' room so they could have a place to read, play games, or whatever. Thank you. And I just love that fabric. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looks so good! i love the shape and the seamlines!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW. This is ah-mazing. And your fabric is perfect!
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been contemplating a DIY pouf or ottoman project in my future, but I think yours has convinced me. A pouf is a must!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW you did a fabulous job with this!!! It looks awesome! And I love the fabric you chose!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um, yes please! Love everything about it including the rest of your space! Thanks for linking up to my party!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tutorial! I am bookmarking this for when we finally get a sofa for our living room -- a poof likes yours would go great with the loveseat I have in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! The fabric is perfect! If you get a chance, please share this on my linky party: http://suburbsmama.blogspot.com/2013/04/sunday-link-party-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great! I have so many dumpy pillows that I could easily lump together to form a pouf. I love how yours turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cool! Would love if you could share this at our link Party- Give Me The Goods {1 party, 5 blogs!} http://dimplesandpigtales.blogspot.com/2013/04/give-me-goods-monday-6.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love that fabric, it looks really gold and I love gold right now! I really want to make one of these for a leg rest! lol! Pinning! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is SOOO cute!! I am definitely going to try it!! I am always propping my feet on the coffee table and I need something soft. :)

    I'm also a new follower. I would really love it if you get a chance to stop by my blog @ www.stonecreekantiques.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it!! I've been thinking about making one of these. I've made a big huge bean bag that my kids LOVE, but us adults need a little something to prop up our feet :)

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is SO great! Love the fabric you picked and I appreciate you including the amount of time it took. Sometimes you get started on a project and five hours later you wonder why you ever started ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. now you see, that rocks, and i love the fabric. and i also love how you're working with a dark couch-it's a constant struggle for me to debrown my living room, so this is good inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Turned out gorgeous! I really like the fabric you chose. An hour from start to finish, you say? I may have to take on another project. Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for linking up to my party! Hope to see you again this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome! I would love to make one of these!! Looks fabulous:)
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love love love the fabric! Can I get a link to where you got it from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! I got the fabric at a local fabric store on clearance, but this site has some great fabric choices in the trellis pattern.

      http://www.spoonflower.com/tags/trellis

      Good luck!
      ~Sara

      Delete
  20. Love this....definitely want to try it! I'm confused, though, how you used the old towels? Can you explain? Thanks!

    jannaletourneau{at}hotmail{dot}com

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Sara - I just wanted to let you know that I loved your pouf, so I just featured it on my weekly DIY post: http://www.organicallyopulent.com/top-ten-diys-issue-9/.

    I couldn't seem to pull you up on Google+ (under your name or Park West), so wanted to get in touch. So cute! Great job!

    Cortney@organicallyopulent.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've been wanting to make one of these for a long while. Thanks for giving me the confidence to know it is something I can accomplish!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just found you from Sew Can She/Free Daily Sewing Tutorials. I have printed the pattern from BHG as I plan to make this for a bathroom. Yours looks taller than the one pictured on BHG. I like yours better; theirs looks really squatty. It also looks like you didn't add the top and bottom pieces. Did you alter your pattern from BHG?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did Ana, the only thing I did different was not add the extra fabric on the top and bottom. Plus, I stuffed my pouf with more filling than they suggested, bc over time we all know that with little ones sitting on them and being used over time, they flatten out. Good luck with yours!!
      xo~Sara

      Delete
  24. Also don't know how you use the towels. Do you line the bottom and sides with them? Just a few words here on that topic would go a long way. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ophelia! I'm sorry for the confusion on the towels, I did update this post to tell you exactly how I used the towels.

      Good luck~
      Sara

      Delete
  25. This is really cute, but I was unable to access the "free" pattern at B $ H. They required me to fill out an information form to register, which is "normal" on many websites, but then clicking the download link still didn't get me to the pattern, only to a page where I needed to check off other offers. Is there somewhere that I can just get the pattern without jumping through all these hoops?

    ReplyDelete