Life has been crazy busy the last few weeks, most of which school has taken over my entire existence. My poor little family has been patient with me and my butt being glued to my desk chair for hours and sometimes all day. Thankfully, the hubs has been great and on call with the kids while I'm studying and working away at my desk. In between school and the kids I did happen to take some time to work on a piece of furniture that has been sitting in my garage for ohhh, I don't know...two years (I cringe). Yeah, it's terrible to even say those words, but life happens. And it kept getting pushed back on my to-do list.
This baby has been my ultimate Craigslist pride and joy. I was scoring CL and just happened to come across this baby by chance, the guy had knocked down the price from $100 to a whopping $20 bucks!! I kid you not. I called him and told the man I was on my way. Even at $100, this credenza is worth triple that I'm sure. It's so incredibly beautiful and all the hardware was intact. A little dirty, but overall, in amazing shape. Suffice it to say, I wasn't a fan of the stain color, a bit orange for me and my taste. And I kept thinking I would just re-stain it. I kept seeing images all over the web of glossy black and white pieces, that I decided to make the leap and paint her instead. I had originally decided on black, but decided white was better with kids and wouldn't show any nicks or blemishes as much as the black probably would.
The hardware was definitely trial and error. I first wanted to make sure that they was brass. You don't want to use any damaging chemical agents on them, or spend the extra money on cleaning products when you really don't need to. So to test your hardware, you take a magnet and see if it sticks to it, if it does, than it's either non-brass or brass plated. Mine were the real deal and didn't stick to the magnet, so I wanted to make sure I cleaned them correctly. I'd researched a few different ways to clean brass and came up with the best solution. Hot water, vinegar, and salt. Yep. Easy peasy. For the small hardware, I used a bucket from the garage and filled it with the hottest water and about a cup of vinegar and a tablespoon of salt. Then I let it sit overnight.
A couple of my doors had long these super long door hinges. I could barely get them off, and realized just how much gunk was stuck to them. They needed more than an overnight soak. I used a huge plastic tub for these ones and filled it in my shower with the hot water mix like above. Now because these were so gross, I actually had to let them soak for a few days. KILL ME NOW! I was so impatient. Ugh.
After everything got a nice little soak bath, I scrubbed each piece just to make sure everything came out all nice n' shiny. I started with a toothbrush, then got smart and decided some steel wool was a better alternative. Don't worry, using the super fine steel wool is okay and it worked like a charm. Within a minute, the hardware was super clean and shiny. No real elbow grease necessary. Seriously, after how many years of wear, these pieces had so much patina they looked like a bronze finish.
Putting it all together was the highlight of my day. I had been so over the Ikea expedit bookcase that was here for the last few years. It was a good fit in the beginning, but I kept feeling like there was too much open shelving, it was getting on my nerves. I'm loving that everything is hidden away now and looking a lot more tidy.
After years of delaying and weeks of refurbishing her, I am super excited to finally have a piece of furniture that will be a staple piece in our home.
The Winthrop Chronicles
Homestories A to Z
The Winthrop Chronicles