Pages



Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Year, New Goals







Another year has passed and I'm still in shock over some of the things that have happened in that time, I have definitely been on a bit of a roller coaster this past year and yet in the end I've grown in incredible ways.  It's just proven to me, yet again, that you never know where you'll be or where your life will take you.  Life is full of surprises and can seem scary at times, it can be difficult to map through life when we feel the need to have a constant hold on every action or moment in our lives.  And I think when our course hits those bumps and valleys, or even a major fork in the road, it can really beat us up and even scare us to the point of stopping on the path; afraid of what will happen if we make a mistake, or feel like we don't have the strength to pursue it.  But we can't stop on these paths, without those bumps and forks in the road, we stop growing. We limit our lives, and I for one don't want to stop living, even if it means I'm going to make mistakes or not.  

What this past year has taught me is that you don't need to wait for the new year to start fresh, or start a new goal.  It is just the beginning of a New Year.  I've never been one to keep or even start a resolution, but I think as I'm getting older, and seeing how beneficial it is in writing my goals down, it's even more important to tell them to someone.  So to start the New Year off right, I've come up with a few goals, both personal and blog related to share with you...



Personal:
Read daily scriptures with my family, drink water with every meal, eat out only twice a month, exercise every day for 30 minutes, write in my journal for five minutes before bed, read one new book a month, take more trips with the hubs, plan and take a family vacation, call family and friends more, sew something once a month, attend a broadway play or musical, and paint more.

Blogging:
Reach out to other bloggers and make more of an effort, comment more on the blogs I read daily, attend a blog conference or event, make time each week to write posts.




Wow.  So even in just writing those down, I already feel great about my resolutions.  I'm not saying that I know 100% that I will reach all of my goals, and here's why.  I'm not putting an expectation of completion for them.  Half of why all resolutions fail, is because of expectation.  If we tell ourselves that we must complete them and mess up on a day, week or month, we throw up our hands and say "forget it".  We figure it's not worth it and we can't go back.  What I know about goals and expectations is to give yourself a little break, no one is spot on all the time (and if you are, kuddos to you!!), but for the rest of us it's just not reality.  To accomplish anything, you need to just keep going.  Stop thinking about how much time has gone by or whatever guilt trip you're riding on, the point is to just keep going.  Pick yourself up and keep going.  I for one have a hard time staying on task, and even keeping a schedule, mind you kids do not help in that situation, but I always strive to keep going.  So even if I don't keep every single resolution, I am going to try my best and try to be better in the process.  If I can at least keep to having water with every meal but only sneak in a soda if we go out, I'm taking that as a definite improvement.  Support is also important, I'm totally making the hubs help me out, and I hope he kicks my butt if I want to have a Pepsi with my meal. The point is--keep your goals realistic and your expectations of them realistic too.  We all fall off the horse, what matters is whether or not you get back on.



I hope you all had a wonderful New Year and that you'll plan on making some new goals for 2014.

Can you feel it?!   It's going to be a great one!




xo-Sara  




1 comment:

  1. Well said Sara! I loved your post. You have a way with words that I can only dream of having...love you sis!

    ReplyDelete